Technical Information -- Semiconductor Products --
New JRC's Original Audio Technology
- What is eala ? : A General Overview
- New JRC's original audio technology, eala, is one of the 3D surround sound systems, designed to create a 'larger-than-stereo' sound field from arbitrary audio source materials.
- The eala sound is aimed at creating natural sound to human perception, particularly refining on implementation of spatial sound beyond stereo. In order to express its clarity and naturalness of sound images, the word eala has been born, originated from the following two words:'ear'(English), and 'ala' (Spanish, =wing).
- Have you got any clues of the eala soundscape as if your ears had wings, flying around a rich, comfortable and sophisticated sound field ?
- What is 3D Surround Sound ?
- A three-dimensional (3D) surround sound is one of sound enhancement technologies and/or systems that provide a more immersive and realistic soundscape.
The examples of various methods are as follows :
- Stereo Extension:processing an existing stereo (two-channel) soundtrack to add spaciousness and to make it appear to originate from outside the left/right speaker locations.
- Virtual Surround Sound:creating virtual or 'phantom' images of sound with a regular set of speakers, when reproducing a multi-channel soundtrack, instead of using multi-speaker system.
- Simulated Stereo:processing monaural signals to enhance sound fields.
- eala : Natural, Vocal-Oriented Sound for Your Enjoyable Listening Experience
- Reproducing a highly natural sound with crystal-clear sound image is one of the main objectives of our project - developing New JRC's original surround sound technology.
The project team concentrated particularly on orientation of human voice:i.e. importance of the center channel information in a sound field.
For example, in case of listening to music, the main vocals are supposed to be in the center of the sound field.
In a film soundtrack, human dialogs (conversations) are positioned in the center.
It is often mentioned that surround effects of the conventional audio systems are obtained at the expense of image clarity (i.e. the center or vocal information becomes blurred), with less distinct localization of individual sound components.
However, the eala technology has accomplished to maintain the integrity of the center information and the vocal orientation, and successfully reproduce a natural acoustic sound with an excellent vocal intelligibility.
Such distinctiveness of the eala surround technology provides a rich, comfortable sound field without feeling tired or stressed by overemphasized surround effects.
- The eala technology has ability to create a natural impression of sounds and to realize a clear vocal orientation with a small, narrow-spaced two-speaker setup.
Due to widening 'sweet spot', the implementations of the eala system allow greater flexibility in seating position and speaker placement.
The eala product series are, therefore, suitable particularly for the audio applications such as TV sets and mini components.